Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies

Turkey cookies have been a Thanksgiving tradition in my family for as long as I can remember.  We would set it up assembly line style so me and my sisters could all help out.  I always wanted to do the candy corns.



I've seen lots of turkey cookies, cupcakes, cake pops, etc. recently, and maybe I'm just biased, but I still like mine best for three reason:
1. I just think they're really cute!
2. They're delicious (unless you don't like candy corns like my husband.  lame.) and
3. They're super easy!  Lots of the other ones I've seen require actual skill with frosting - doing intricate little faces on the turkeys or feathers.  But these ones?  Even if you have the artistic abilities of a toothbrush, you should be able to handle these.  If my older sister can do it, anyone can!

So here's what you need to make these tasty turkey treats:
sugar cookies, chocolate frosting, Hershey kisses, red hots/cinnamon imperials, and candy corn.


Of course, you can make the sugar cookies and frosting from scratch, but if you're in a hurry, store bought works well too.  See what I mean about easy?  

My cookies turned out a little bigger and flatter than is ideal (stupid altitude), but that just means some of them have a little extra space for extra frosting.

Just frost your cookies, stick a kiss a little closer to one edge from the center, a red hot in front of it for the gobbler, and 5 candy corns behind it for the feathers.  Ta-da!


Much more delicious than actual turkey if you ask me.



My army of turkey cookies, waiting to be wrapped up and taken to neighbors.

Oh, one last tip: Sometimes it's hard to find candy corn after Halloween, so we stock up ahead of time with all the Halloween candy sales.  I know, it's too late for this year... but look in the candy aisle and hopefully you can still find some!

Happy almost Thanksgiving week!


2 comments:

  1. Meggie I love your blog very much! So many cute things! I especially loved the snowflakes and the turkey cookies because they reminded me of the time we were roommates! I still remember making all of those snowflakes and yours always looked way cooler than mine (mine were always kind of weird and not-snowflaky looking and kind of a disgrace to T5). I miss you, I wish we lived closer and could make stuff together, preferably while watching Love Actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Whitney! I miss you too! We watched Love Actually the other day (my mom had never seen it!) and it made me miss all my romates. We should have a romate reunion. It would be amazing! Or maybe you could just come visit. Alice would love to meet Lizzy! :)
    P.S. your snowflakes were never a disgrace!

    ReplyDelete